Sunday, October 4, 2009

On to today...

So, I started thinking that instead of going back, I should just tell you what is going on now.

Last Sunday I was ready... At 6:30 we were at the hospital for the egg retrieval. I was bloated, my abdomen was sore and my breasts were killing me, but it was time. Hopefully this would be the start of being a mommy! They gave me my Valium - I really love Valium! It really does well taking the edge off...

The doctor told me that they were going to use ICSI on all of the eggs. I was surprised, since we hadn't had a problem with fertilized eggs before, but then I realized that DH had NO idea what ICSI was! I know from all of the infertility blogs I've read - all of you sharing your stories with me, helped me learn what to expect. So, instead of letting the doctor explain, I told him that they were going to inject his sperm into my eggs, to maximise the fertilization.

They took me into the room and the anesthesiologist hooked into my IV. The last thing I remember is him telling me that what he was putting in might be warm. The next thing I know, I woke up crying. Not sure why, but I remember DH giving me a tissue and holding my hand. I think I dozed off again and the next thing I knew, they were telling me that they had gotten 12 eggs and they were checking to see how many were mature. So, since my part was done, they sent me home to sleep it off and wait for the results of how many eggs were mature.

We went home, and I crawled into bed. A few hours later, I woke up, and unlike last time, I felt fine - a little sore, but I didn't wake up, eat and go right back to bed, like I had the first time. Then the doctor called to tell me that all of the eggs were mature and that they would all be injected with sperm and someone would call me the next day to let me know how many eggs had fertilized. I spent the rest of the day relaxing and hoping that we would have a day five transfer!

No comments: